Tuesday, November 12, 2013

BookView 1-on-1 with Shari Rood, author of 'Through the Cane Fields'


I recently had the pleasure of interviewing Author Shari Rood about her extraordinary novel "Through the Cane Fields". The story is set in South Africa, and we talked about her connection to that region, the main character Delia and the inspiration for writing a story against the backdrop of Apartheid. Like me, Shari is a member of 'The Unblocked Writers Group' on facebook and it didn't take long for me to become a fan of her keen insight into the craft of writing and her passion for storytelling. 
As a result, I was so excited when
she agreed to be my first 'BookView' in the Cave. Below is the full transcript of our live interview session.



LAREY:  Today I have the pleasure of interviewing the lovely and talented Author Shari Rood. Welcome to the ‘Slack-Cave’ Shari.


SHARI:  Thanks, Larey. Good to be here.

LAREY:  You have the distinct honor of being my first guest in the Slack Cave. It's sort of like the Bat Cave, except I don't really solve any crimes.

SHARI: I'm thrilled to be your first guest. I'm sure I won't be the last either.

LAREY:  Hopefully, either way, you’ll go down in history. Now we're here to talk about your book, 'Through the Cane Fields', but before I get into that I wanted to know a little about what you've got going on. How many books do you currently have out right now?

SHARI:  I just got a contract for my latest novel Behind the Closet Door. I'm excited to get this one published at last because I've written three sequels for it.

LAREY:  Congratulations! Can you give us a little hint at what 'Behind the Closet Door' is about?

SHARI:  Sure. It's a thriller. It's about a guy who feels backed into a corner and locks his girlfriend in a closet when she tries to break up with him. It's a complete departure from Through the Cane Fields so it should be interesting to see what people think about it. The whole story takes place over a rainy weekend.

LAREY:  Wow. That does sound interesting. I'll have to remember to bring you back to the Cave to talk about that one. Now how long have you been writing professionally?

SHARI: Thanks, I'd like that. I've been writing seriously for about six or seven years now. I've always loved writing and had planned to be a Journalist when I was young because my Dad used to be one. I ended up getting away from writing for years and then finding it again.

LAREY:  And are you an indie writer or small press?

SHARI:  Small press. My publisher has been around since the early 90's. They were doing the ebook thing back before it became popular.

LAREY:  I see. Now would you ever consider going the indie route in the future?

SHARI:  Definitely. I've seen so many good authors getting respect in the field. There are so many great cover artists and editors out there that it's becoming more and more appealing. I have a collection of humorous essays that I'd like to self-publish.

LAREY:  So let's get to the novel we want to spotlight today, ‘Through the Cane Fields’. What’s the genre and what’s this book about?

SHARI:  The genre is historical fiction. It’s about a young girl growing up in Apartheid era South Africa. She develops a crush on her good friend Thomas and at that time it was considered forbidden for people of different races to mix. Not to mention the class divide as well.

LAREY:  What was the inspiration for this book and why did you choose a setting like South Africa?

SHARI: My husband is South African. He has told me the most amazing stories about his childhood. Then when we were newly married, I got to see the place for myself and we’ve been travelling out there ever since. It’s incredible. One of the most beautiful places on earth. My first visit was right after Apartheid was abolished and it was a jubilant time for everyone. Since then I've witnessed the positive changes in the country and over the years it has become a second home to me. It came naturally to me to tell a story set in a place that I have come to know so well.

LAREY:  That sounds fascinating. I was going to ask you about the amount of research it took to capture the environment but it sounds like you have a wealth of firsthand knowledge.

SHARI:  Yes, the scenery and the places are all very close to my comfort zone but I did have to do a fair amount of research when it came to getting Zulu phrases right and some of the cultural customs that I didn't know about.

LAREY:  Well I'm sure your readers will appreciate that amount of attention to detail. Can you give a brief bio/description of the main character for us?

SHARI:  Sure. Delia Hallowell the main character. She’s a bright and lively girl who lives in the lap of luxury. She knows that there is something wrong with the way things are but it doesn’t really come into focus until she meets Thomas and gets a view of what life is like from his perspective. She develops a conscience and we get to take this journey with her. We follow her from a young child to a grown woman.

LAREY:  What's your favorite scene from the story? Which part really grabs you whenever you go back to read this book?

SHARI:  There are several that I really like but one of my favorites is when Delia realizes that her feelings for Thomas are more than just friendship. That sets her on a course that changes her life.

LAREY:  Besides the main character Delia, which character was your favorite to write and why?

SHARI:  Her sister Susan was a wonderful character to write. She’s petty and mean and jealous. It was a blast writing her. I think villains can be the most fun to write. There is a character named Jonathan who is just not a good person and I had the best time writing him as well.

LAREY:  Now since we're talking about characters and I often get asked this a lot, when you're in the process of crafting the story how do you go about fleshing out your characters? Do you write bios? Do you base them on real people? Do they 'talk' to you and tell you who they are? What's your process?

SHARI:  They definitely talk to me. I do try to write out-lines and bios to get me started but once they start talking, they often know exactly where they want to go and what they want to do and I just go along for the ride. That is my favorite part about writing. I just zone out and let the characters duke it out. Writing dialog is my very favorite part of writing.

LAREY:  See, I knew you were crazy. Talking to characters and what not. Characters aren't real Shari!

SHARI:  Haha, they are to me. I swear, sometimes I think of them as if they were friends. So, yeah, maybe I'm crazy but I also might be a genius... It's possible, right?

LAREY:  It's definitely possible. I WISH my characters would talk to me, but I tend to write people I wouldn't get along with so maybe that's why. Now this story, given how close you are to the setting and your knowledge about the history of that region, seems like it would be one of those stories that just flowed. Was that the case or did it take a while to put everything together?

SHARI:  It flowed beautifully. When I was finished I read it through and realized it was more like an outline. At that point I went in and started to flesh out the characters a little more. I added scenes and dialog and eventually it all came together. I just wanted to say one other thing about South Africa as an inspiration. I’ve spent time wandering beautiful gardens on lush estates and on the flip side, driving past township settlements where people still look happy even though they don’t have much. There is so much disparity but at the same time the cultural richness is unlike anything I’ve ever encountered before. I always say it’s like in the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy wakes up and everything is in bright color. South Africa is like that. The flowers, the birds, the mountains, the ocean, the people. It’s all so bright and rich. I couldn’t help but be inspired. So I wanted to mention that because in a lot of ways, the book is like a love letter from me to my second home.

LAREY:  Wow. That inspires me. It's obvious this story meant a lot to you and I'm sure readers will be able to feel that when they read it. And now my dear, we come to the most crucial part of our time together. Buckle the seat belt. We're going into 'quick fire' mode. I'm going to ask you a series of short questions that may or may not be about the book. Are you ready?

SHARI:  Ready!

LAREY:  Here we go. Which of the characters in this book would you take on a road trip and where would you go?

SHARI:  I would love to pluck Delia and Thomas from the past and bring them into the present in modern day South Africa where they would be accepted. We could tour Capetown and Franshoek and the wine country and the Drakensberg and Kruger national park to see the wild animals and the North coast. We’d end up in Umdloti at the Java CafĂ© for a Horlicks milkshake. If you haven't had one of those, it's worth a trip to South Africa for that alone. We’d look out over the ocean and watch the whales and the dolphins. There is this cool waiter there who knows me. He’s got a gold tooth and he always grins at my American accent. Well, I guess I should be working for the tourism department because I can't stop gushing about the place.

LAREY:  Which character would you call if you were on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' and needed to phone a friend?

SHARI:  That's a tough one. I think Delia. She's super bright and loves to study so she would probably know most anything.

LAREY:  You, alone, Saturday night, raining outside: Do you curl up with a good book or a great movie?

SHARI:  First the movie and then the book.

LAREY:  If this book were a movie, who would play the leads?

SHARI:  The English actress, Saoirse Ronan. I loved her in the movie Atonement. I think she would be perfect for Delia. Keira Knightley would be great for Susan. Dan Stevens would be perfect for Jonathan. He was such a nice guy in Downton Abbey but I’ll bet he could be great as the arrogant, egotistical Jonathan.

LAREY:  Who would direct?

SHARI:  Ang Lee or Julian Fellowes.

LAREY:  A new writer comes to you and asks for your best advice. What do you say?

SHARI:  I would suggest trying to write every day. I've met so many people who say to me, "Oh, I want to write a book." Then I see them months later and they haven't written the first word. Since it's November I'll put in a quick plug for National Novel Writing month. I've done it five years in a row and finished every year. 50k words sounds like a lot but I've never found a better way to jump start things when I'm out of practice. Daily writing is a great way to hone your craft.

LAREY:  What is the meaning or inspiration for the title "Through the Cane Fields"?

SHARI:  The Cane Fields has a couple meanings for me. Down the south coast where this story plays out, fields of sugar cane grow abundantly. It's beautiful to see and Delia spends time walking through the cane fields. But the other meaning centers around the fact that in order to create this vast sugar industry, it was built on the backs of workers who were paid very little for their long hours.

LAREY:  Fun fact about you that few people know.

SHARI:  I’m in training to become a Reiki master.

LAREY:  Wow. All I can say after that is 'WOOT!' Final question: What's the one message or theme you hope people take from this book after they finish the last page?

SHARI: I think it's acceptance and tolerance for people and who they are. Not in a preachy way but just a ‘live and let live’ kind of feeling. That everyone should be free to pursue their dreams and goals without bias.

LAREY: Outstanding. Well said. And with that, Shari my dear, we have reached the end of our interview session. Did you have fun?

SHARI:  Yes! It was awesome. I hope to visit the Slack-Cave again when my next novel comes out next year.

LAREY:  You are welcome any time. You have a standing invitation, even if you don't have anything new out. Just stop by to hang out. Good luck with the novel 'Through the Cane Fields'. I love your passion for the book. I'm sure readers will find it to be a captivating read. You'll definitely have to come back so I can spotlight 'Behind the Closet Door' and of course that humorous collection of essays. Thank you so much Shari. See you in UBW. 

SHARI:  Sounds great, Larey. I look forward to visiting with you again soon!

***The author is Shari Rood. The book is ‘Through the Cane Fields’. You can purchase your copy at Amazon. Also look for her upcoming release ‘Behind the Closet Door’. You can follow Shari and get updates on all of projects at her facebook author page at https://www.facebook.com/shariwriter ***


***BONUS - EXCERPT FROM 'THROUGH THE CANE FIELDS'***

{I climbed out of the window and worked my way to the
edge of the roof. I grabbed hold of the jacaranda tree and
shimmied down to the ground and ran straight to Thomas’
hut. I looked through the tiny window and saw them
eating a meager supper in silence. Thomas saw me
looking and he motioned for me to go away. This made
me angry, so I tapped the window lightly. Vera saw this
and immediately bolted up out of her chair. “Delia!” she
exclaimed as she opened door. “Whatever are you doing
out here child? It’s almost dark.”

“I’ve come to see Thomas, please, can he come outside
just for a little while?”
“Does your father know you are here?”
“Yes, of course, Vera, please, just for a moment.”
Vera looked worried. She opened the door wider and
Thomas stepped out into the dusky night. “Ten minutes,
you hear me, Thomas?”
Thomas looked sheepish and said, “Yes, Ma.”

He closed the door behind him and I grabbed his hand
and we ran through the garden past the mulberry tree and
the lemon grove, past the hollyhocks and the hibiscus and
into the cane fields. We were both out of breath and I
plopped down on the soft ground and said, “Thomas, you
were right; Susan is going to have a baby. How did you
know?”

Thomas shrugged his shoulders and said, “Everybody
on the farm knows. My ma says she better get married
soon or your father might send her away.”

Thomas was so much taller than me now and looked
like a man. I still looked like a girl. I blushed, suddenly
realizing that I had dragged him into the cane fields like a
wild thing. He was looking at me. He didn’t say anything
but I could see he was worried.

I asked him what was wrong and he hesitated but said,
“If your father saw me out here with you, the police would
take me away and kill me and bury me and nobody would
ever ask about me again.”
I thought he was joking but Thomas rarely joked,
certainly not about something like that. I said, “Thomas,
why do you say such things?”
“You are still a girl; you don’t know anything. I must
go home; don’t get me in trouble like this.”
“You mean because I’m white, is that what you are
saying, Thomas?”
“They will say I dragged you out here and they will
shoot me like a dog. You can’t come around anymore. Ma
says no more lessons either.”
My face felt hot, as though I had been slapped. The
tears started flowing and I couldn’t stop them. I couldn’t
believe how stupid and selfish I had been. I just wanted to
talk to him, to be near him, and now I was going to lose
my only friend.
“Thomas, you don’t mean that.”
“No more lessons, no more swimming, no more visits.
Do you understand me, girl?”
He stood up and started to walk out into the clearing
but I pulled him back. “Wait.”
“Why?”
“I don’t know, just wait a minute.”
I couldn’t understand how things suddenly had turned
so wrong. I looked at him as he stood there, arms crossed,
resolute.
“Thomas, I don’t want to get you into trouble, but why
are you telling me all this now? Have I offended you in
some way?”
He looked up at the sky and laughed. “You don’t see
anything, do you?”
I felt my cheeks burn but I wasn’t about to let him
make these accusations without at least defending myself.
“Thomas, what have I ever done but try to be your
friend? Teach you how to swim, ask Father if he could
find you a better job, come to your hut to speak with you
and ask for your advice. Why is my friendship being
rebuked in such a way? I could understand if I had taunted
you or teased you or worse, treated you like a servant the
way Susan does, but what have I done? I’d really like to
know.”

Thomas broke a piece of cane and it sounded like a
gunshot in the still, warm night and I jumped. He handed
me a piece and broke off another for himself and chewed
it thoughtfully.

“It’s not what you have done, Inyamazane, it’s what
everyone else thinks. The boys on the farm all tease me
about the white girl who does me favors. Ma has done her
best to keep them quiet, but it’s only a matter of time
before it gets back to your father and then I’ll be sent
away from here so fast, I won’t even be able to say
goodbye to my own mother.”

I was still trying to get past the Zulu word he called
me. Inyamazane. Buck, at least, I think that’s what it
meant. Because of my skinny legs I supposed.

“Delia, what do you say?”
“I say who cares what other people think? But, if you
are really worried, I can be discreet. I can visit you only
when you tell me it’s safe. I don’t want our friendship to
end just because people don’t like it.”
“That’s why I call you a little girl. You don’t
understand what it’s like to be one of us. We are always
mistrusted and we are expected to do our job and that is
all. You see, we can’t be friends; you and I are both too
old now. People are talking and after what has happened
with your sister, I can’t take the risk of people gossiping.”
“Is it really so very bad?”
Thomas sighed and said, “I’m just a garden boy who
now works the cane. To your family I am nothing and it
would be better if I was also nothing to you.”

I felt lightheaded. This was the most grownup
conversation I had ever had and I wasn’t sure I was up to
it. I knew he was right, though. I saw how Mother and
Susan treated them all. Father too. I also had the sad
realization that my friendship was a selfish one that never
took into account what he might suffer if he were to be
accused of something in regards to me. But still, a part of
me cried out that it wasn’t fair. Since when was friendship
a crime? I had grown up a solitary person who craved
companionship and Thomas had given me that, but there
was more. I didn’t just use him as a companion because I
was lonely; I genuinely respected his opinion and I truly
enjoyed his company. I started to cry. I didn’t want him to
see and I turned away.

“Delia?”
“I’m sorry, Thomas. It’s a lot to take in. I’m supposed
to give up my only true friend and just go on about my
business?”
“I’m sorry, little girl.”
“Don’t call me that,” I sniffed.
I did a stupid thing then. I turned to him and hugged
him. He was at least a foot taller and I felt so small and
insignificant. I wouldn’t let go. He stroked my hair and
whispered, “Don’t cry, Inyamazane,” into my ear.
“I suppose that’s an insult,” I said with my face against
his chest.
“No, it isn’t.”

I looked up and I, I kissed him. I don’t know why I did
it. There were times in the future when I wondered how
the course of my life would have differed if only I hadn’t
offered up that single kiss.}

14 comments:

  1. I'm actually in the process of reading "Through the Cane Fields" and so far its promising to be a great read Shari. Also congrats on your new published book "Behind the Closet Door". It definitely sounds like the kind of book I love to read. Also I'd like to congratulate Larey on the new blog! I like the easy, relaxed style and I'll be back for your coming articles and interviews.
    Best SK Delph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SK. It was easy and relaxed because we both got liquored up before we started. lol. Seriously, Shari's personality made it a breeze. I had a lot of fun. And extra special thanks to you for taking the time to drop a note. You will always and forever be known as the first person to comment on the site. Historic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dammit! Not only am I not the first to comment, you've given me another reason to spend money on a book. Thanks. It's a good interview. I appreciate the obvious mutual respect. Good luck with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great interview and so nice to know more about your background Shari, and the inspirstion behind the story. I will look forward to the new book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually know how to spell inspiration.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I posted yesterday hoping to be the first, but alas....
    I love the Cave! I didn't know you had this place going on Larry. And I must say the chemistry between you and Shari made the interview flow nicely. Shari, I look forward to reading your work, and I wish you both vast readerships, huge royalties, and the best of health with which to enjoy them with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leah, you're on my short list for interview requests so hopefully you'll get to sit in the Cave real soon.

      Delete
    2. I'll definitely be looking forward to your interview Leah! Loved your book! And I'm wondering if there might ever be a sequel? Cosette is such an interesting character, I can't help but wonder where life might take her.

      Delete
  7. Awesome interview Larey and Shari. Looking forward to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward too. I heard the next guest is kick ass!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for such a great article! Looking forward to reading your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great interview. The book is a treasure, and I don't think a better excerpt could have been chosen. It's a perfect sample to give us the tone of the story and to display the quality of the writing.

    ReplyDelete